Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My daughter's email from Cornwall, UK.


Devon/Cornwall is the originator of Devonshire Tea or Cornish Cream Tea. Therefore this is SCONE CAPITAL. So, like a diligent tourist, I went for Cornish Cream Tea, at The HoneyPot in Penzance. Well, this place is famous in Penzance for its scones with original Cornish clotted cream. The scones are very different from the ones that I made, and it was like bread/cakes but was so crumbly (as in ‘song’) that I’m not able to eat it the way I normally do at home, i.e. tear out a piece and then apply jam and cream. When I do that, the entire torn off piece disintegrates. Then I realised that maybe I should cut it vertically (like a cake) as opposed to horizontally and sure enough, the scone held its form long enough for me to dab some cream and jam (homemade using Cornish strawberries – yum yum) before melting away, the moment I pop it into my mouth. No kidding man, the scones here are very ‘ko chiu’ (read as high banana in Cantonese), you can taste the scone making kung fu. Totally different class altogether. It is very hard to explain about the scones with words (I’m having the same problem as my attempt to describe the Lantau Island Mountain Water Tau Foo Fah), but just know that it defies words and very good doesn’t seem to give its excellence enough recognition. No wonder Devonshire tea is so famous in in the world.



Don't forget to try the Cornish Cream Tea when you go to Cornwall.




Here is the transcript of the interview Seth Mydans had with Singapore Minister Mentor Mr. Lee Kuan Yew




No comments: