Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Email from Isle of Wight

Isle of Wight, slightly smaller than Singapore, is located about 100km to the South-West of London.


My daughter sent me the following email on her visit there.


************************
Hi

I have just returned from the Isle of Wight with my friend SY. It was a rather relaxing holiday and there is really nothing much to do there.We stayed near the old village in Shanklin, which I think is the
cutest part within Isle of Wight. We ate crabs and stayed in a lovely B&B called Fernbank.

There are castles and beaches to visit but we were rather lazy. However, we did go to Osbourne House, which is the house where Queen Victoria raised her family. It was a nice place with a garden which supplies the food and flowers consumed by the household.There were also playhouses for the children, where there can learn to grow up and play, outside of the scrutiny of public.



The garden is still functioning today and it is filled with pears, apples, flowers, and pumpkins. Quite interesting. The pears and apples looked very juicy and ripe and SY and I were hungry. But there is a sign which says that everything in the grounds of the house belongs to the Crown (or something like that). So, whilst it was tempting, SY and I decided not to pluck the pears that were dangling from the arches. Just in case the queen decides to deport us. Imagine having to explain to my collegues about that.



Today, just before returning, we decided to sit in the garden of one of the teahouses in the old village (it is the white building on the right hand side of the village picture), winner of the teahouses on the island and had scones and tea. The scones were good, but if I really have to choose, to me, the ones from the HoneyPot in Penzance were better. I think now, my standards when it comes to eating (not making) scones have been raised tremendously.




We did that yesterday, too, but in a different tea house. The weather was very nice and tea was fun. Had cakes and all, and chat for 2 over hours, like some real Tai-tais.


So, it was a very relaxing holiday. Well, until the next holiday.

**************************
It is always an enjoyment to me to read her mail. I can feel and visualize her relaxing, joyous and quiet (to avoid deportation) walk in the Queen's Garden. I started to have in my mind scene of Keanu Reeves "A Walk In The Cloudes". My imagination has started to run wild :).

No comments: