Thursday, December 15, 2011

A story

Over the phone, his mother told him,
"Mr. Belser died last night. The funeral is Wednesday."

Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat quietly remembering his childhood days.

"Jack, did you hear me?"

"Oh, sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought of him. I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago."

"Well, he didn't forget you. Every time I saw him he'd ask how you were doing. He'd reminisce about the many days you spent over 'his side of the fence' as he put it."

"I loved that old house he lived in," Jack said, "He's the one who taught me carpentry, I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for him. He spent a lot of time teaching me things he thought were important ...... Mom, I'll be there for the funeral."

As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to his hometown.

Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He has no children and relative.





The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by to see the old house next door one more time.

Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment. It was like a leap through space and time. The house was exactly as he remembered. Every step held memories. Every picture, every piece of furniture ...... Jack stopped suddenly....

"What's wrong, Jack?" his Mom asked.

"The box is gone."

"What box?"

"There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk. I must have asked him a thousand times what was inside. All he'd said was 'the thing I valued most." Jack said.

It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died. One day, Jack received a mailed package. The box was old and looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago. The return address caught his attention. "Mr. Harold Belser" it read.

Jack ripped open the package, there inside was the gold box. Jack carefully unlocked the box. There inside he found a beautiful gold pocket watch. Running his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the cover. Inside he found these words engraved:

"Jack, thanks for your time and the memories - Harold Belser"



.

No comments: